Sponsors

Friday, October 12, 2012

If and when captaincy comes, I'll be ready for it, says Virat Kohli- Sports

If and when captaincy comes, I'll be ready for it, says Virat KohliVirat Kohli has been batting in a different zone in recent months. On Thursday during an exclusive interview with K Shriniwas Rao, he gave a rare peek into his world as he spoke about his game and life beyond cricket. Excerpts...

India lost only one match but still couldn't make it to the semis of WT20...

Yes, it was very unfortunate. Other than that one defeat to Australia, we played reasonably well. This tournament once again showed how crucial net run-rates can be in such a format.

Your batting was again the highlight...

I had good fun and was really enjoying myself out there until our game against South Africa. It wasn't a good feeling that in spite of winning the game, we could not make it to semis.

You are batting in a different zone...

I am doing the same things that I've always done. Yes, this phase has turned out to be really good and I hope to keep it going. You can't just go out there and keep scoring in every match. So I believe that as long as I keep working hard and maintain that focus, it's fine.

Any change in your training schedule?

I still do the same things - fitness training, batting, gym sessions, spending time with teammates and so on. The only difference is I perceive things differently these days. I'd like to believe that I'm far more disciplined today than what I used to be and I work a lot harder on all aspects of my game. The idea is to strive for consistency and stretch it farthest. It can happen only when my mind and body are totally into it.

Discipline - is it something that you've inculcated over time?

I always had a sense of discipline in me. However, there was a time when I couldn't divide my time properly between off-field things and on-field assignments. The focus would be missing at times and that would affect my preparation for matches. I managed to change that. Now I neglect everything else and focus only on the game.

Some players are just naturally talented while others have to work hard to achieve success. In your case, talent and hard work seem to go hand-in-hand...

Irrespective of whether you have talent or not, one has to work hard. Just being talented doesn't mean anything; you can end up wasting it before you realize. I work very hard, there is an urge to keep striving. I enjoy it.

You seem to enjoy responsibilities too...

I love playing under pressure. In fact, if there's no pressure then I'm not in the perfect zone. Frankly, I love taking responsibility. It brings out the best in me.

What do you think of captaincy? There's talk you may lead the Twenty20 side...

I too have heard the chatter about captaincy, but I am not thinking about it right now. If and when it comes, I'll be ready for it. As of now, I'd rather concentrate on my game.

What do you prepare for a match?

I just try to stay as calm and confident as possible. Good Punjabi music before a match pumps me up. It gives me a kick.

And how do you relax?

Music, for me, is vital. Punjabi, Bollywood, Sufi, RnB... I listen to it all. When I'm not listening to music, you will find me chatting with friends. Off the field, I just let my instincts take over. I certainly don't think about batting, or which bowlers I'm going to face.

Are you a spiritual person?

I am. I do believe in God. But you won't find me visiting temples every now and then. I believe in self-realization. Peace of mind matters a lot to me. What's the point in doing something just for the sake of it? I'd rather do something I like doing as long as I'm being true to myself.

In 2008, you led the U-19 team to World Cup triumph, got picked for IPL and were on the verge of making your debut for Team India. But something went wrong...

Probably, I was a little lost with what was happening around me. I took time to adjust. When you don't have someone to guide you through such situations, things can get very difficult. I was confused, my priorities had suddenly changed and things didn't go as I had expected. That was a mistake.

Your exposure to big league was sudden...

Yes, it all happened very quickly. I was confused about which direction to head. I used to feel stupid at times. As a result, I didn't enjoy the best of seasons. I needed to learn it and I realized that what you do out there on the cricket field is all that matters. Everything else is secondary. I'm glad it happened at the beginning of my career.

Today, there's certain calmness in the way you talk...

I don't know about that but I certainly give a lot of importance to conversation and communication. I'm pretty clear in my head about what I want to say and where to say it. It helps me and probably keeps me calm too.

Five hundreds in you last 10 ODIs - you seem to be mastering the art of converting 50s into 100s...

I bat at number three, so more often than not, the target is to bat at least till the 35th or 40th over. The whole idea is to ensure that the team gets into a good position. That's why I make it a point not to throw away my wicket. In doing so, runs begin to flow and it all falls in place.

Can you tell us an instance when you may not have been in the perfect frame of mind, and yet you walked out to bat, put in that extra effort and did well...

Yes, in the Adelaide Test. They (Australia) scored 600-odd (604) in the first innings and we were 100-odd (111) for four when I walked in. I didn't have a good feeling at all... Maybe it was all the effect of what had been happening overall and the defeats. I was feeling low but managed to stick around and get a hundred (116). That kind of experience always stays with you.

Do you remember your dismissals?

I do. There was a span of six or seven games in Sri Lanka, when I kept getting out, fishing outside the off-stump. It made me conscious and I actually gave it a serious thought.

Do you watch videos of your batting?

I am not completely into it. Technology is good but I don't feel the need to depend on it too much. If I am doing something wrong again and again, I think about it and watch replays of a few innings at times. It helps when you're in need of some inspiration. It's more of a mental thing.

Is money also an inspiration for you?

Sport is the first priority. And if you earn from the game as well then there's nothing wrong. As long as you are honest to the sport and making an effort, everything else is fine.

List your five favourite innings...

The World Cup final was special. We were in a very tricky situation and got out of it. It will always be very special to me. One big favourite is Adelaide, the low that we were in. Hobart has to be next. Also, the recent one against Pakistan (in WT20).

How was Kirsten to work with? What about Fletcher?

Both are very different persons. Gary was more of a guy who would have regular conversations with every cricketer. He kept talking to us all the time and he could make the players talk too. On the other hand, Duncan is someone who will come to you if he thinks you're making a mistake. Duncan has great knowledge and he can talk about the game at a totally different level. Some of the things he told me have helped a lot and I'd say, the improvement has shown. I have great relationship with both of them.

And your relationship with MS Dhoni?

We share a good friendship. It wasn't like that when I came in first. It took time but now he allows me to take certain responsibilities and I enjoy it.

Resource:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/interviews/If-and-when-captaincy-comes-Ill-be-ready-for-it-says-Virat-Kohli/articleshow/16775396.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors